For Chemex brewing, we recommend a 1:17 coffee-to-water ratio. We recommend:
- 30g of coffee
- 510g of water
Note that this recipe was created using a 6 cup Chemex. Scale the recipe up or down as needed for larger or smaller brewers.
- Weigh out and grind the coffee. Use a medium-coarse grind that resembles sea salt.
- Unfold the Chemex filter and place it into the Chemex. Ensure that the three of the four layers are resting against the pour spout.
- Completely wet the Chemex filter with hot water. Dispose of the filter water by pouring it out of the pour spout.
- Pour the ground coffee into the pre-wet filter, making sure the coffee bed is level.
- Add 65g of water to the coffee bed. Gently agitate the coffee bed with the handle of a spoon. Let the water saturate the grounds for 45 seconds.
- Add the remainder of the water to the coffee bed. Do so within 45 seconds.
- Once all of the water is added, give the Chemex a few spins to agitate the grounds within the coffee bed.
- This entire process should take around 4.5 minutes, a 4 minute brew time and a 30 second draw down time.
- Serve and enjoy!